Force Constructions First Office Force Constructions First 100,000 square foot building Clearing for Grandview facilities at 990 N. National Road Force Design Logo Butler Manufacturing Company Force Contractor of the Year Force Construction Headquarters

History

1946-47
In its first year of operation, Force Construction Company, formed by Don Force, purchases a 1946 Chevrolet truck and establishes supplier relationships with Stran Steel Nailable Trusses and Clayton Lambert Silos and Bins. Shortly thereafter, Force acquires an Athey loader for excavation.

1948
The first D-2 Caterpillar bulldozer is purchased. Meeting Tom Goby leads to an agreement to represent Armco Steel Buildings. Building projects begin for Snider Oil Co. and Henry Marr. Don Force asks Vera Middendorf to marry him in the cab of the ‘46 Chevy truck.

1949
A Marion 2-yard scraper is added and construction of the first office, a 12’ x 18’8” Armco S-2 building, is completed. The Company purchases its first D-6 bulldozer and #60 Caterpillar pull scraper.

1950-51
The construction of Clifty and Booth Setser elementary schools in Bartholomew County is complete. Harold Force, future president of Force Construction, is born on May 3, 1951. Bob Beier joins the Company and becomes instrumental in field operations for many years. 36 latrine buildings are built for the U.S. Army at Camp Atterbury.

1952-53
The office relocates to 2440 25th Street and a new 28’ x 80’ shop is added. Work begins on Grandview Lake in western Bartholomew County.

1955-57
The Company erects its first 100,000 sq. ft. building for Batesville Casket Company. David Force, future president of Force Design, is born on July 2, 1956. The Company’s first crane, a 1/2 yard capacity Unit 614, is purchased.

1959-63
Force Construction Company receives the Old Timers Award from Armco Metal Products, recognizing more than 10 years as a metal building dealer. A new office expansion measures 24’ x 36’. Force hires its first full-time salesman in 1960.

Work resumes on the completion of Grandview Lake dam and roadways near Columbus, Indiana. Property is purchased at 990 N. National Road. The first full-time secretary is hired. Paul Gerbig joins the company and becomes instrumental in establishing building design operations. The Force logo is created.

1966-69
New facilities open at 990 N. National Road in Columbus and company employment reaches 100 people for the first time. Projects continue throughout Indiana.

1972-76
Several projects throughout the state wrap up for Indiana Gas Company. Harold Force joins the Company full-time in May of ‘74.

Along with the Bicentennial of the USA, Force Construction Company celebrates its 30th anniversary. The Company reorganizes as Force Construction Company, Inc., a general corporation under the laws of the State of Indiana.

1977
Force Design, Inc. forms to provide high-quality architectural and engineering services to support Force Construction. The Company’s first computer, an IBM System 32, is installed.

1980-88
In August of 1980, Don Force succumbs to a 4-year battle with leukemia. David Force joins the Company full time in January of 1981. Force celebrates its 40th anniversary in 1986. Two years later, Force Design implements its first ­CAD system.

1990-96
Force Construction Company, Inc. and Force Design, Inc. occupy new offices at 990 N. National Road. The original office on the site is dismantled and reconstructed for the Columbus Fellowship Club. On Vera Force’s 65th birthday, the original 1946 truck is completely restored as a surprise.

Force Construction Company, Inc. celebrates 50 years of business and is recognized by the State of Indiana with the Half Century Business Award.

2000-02
Force marks the arrival of the new millennium, fully prepared for Y2K issues that never surface. The Arvin Walesboro Technical Center facility is completed and becomes the ArvinMeritor Columbus Technical Center after Arvin Industries and Meritor merge.

Force Design marks 25 years of design excellence. Two Lutheran school projects, St. Peter’s Lutheran School in Columbus, and St. John’s White Creek School in southwestern Bartholomew County, begin.

2003-04
A 7-mile-long project begins for the Indiana Department of Transportation on IN 135 south of Salem, Indiana. In 2004 work starts on a major expansion for Toyota Industrial Equipment Manufacturing, Inc., and Toyota Material Handling USA, Inc. The project includes offices, display and presentation facilities, and an expanded distribution area.

2005-06
Vera Force, Chairman Emeritus of the Force Companies, celebrates her 80th birthday. The Main Street Bridge project in Richmond, Indiana, receives an award for outstanding achievement in concrete by the Indiana Chapter of the American Concrete Institute.

Projects continue throughout Indiana, as well as in Alabama, Kentucky, and Tennessee.

2007-09
Force Construction Company, Inc. selects Butler Manufacturing Company as the primary supplier of pre-engineered structures for building projects.

June 2008 saw unprecedented flooding in the Columbus, Indiana area. The Company disaster response plan was implemented to assist key customers and public agencies affected by the flood.

2010-15
Clayton Force becomes the first 3rd generation family member to be employed by the Company.

Chairman Emeritus Vera Force passes away in February of 2015. She was instrumental in the growth of the Force Companies, and for many years managed accounting processes.

Force construction 60 years of experience 2016
The Indiana Subcontractors Association honors the Company with their Excellence in Ethics Award as well as Contractor of the Year for the second year in a row.

A 70th Anniversary celebration is held with employees, families, and customers at the Company headquarters.

We look forward to the next 70 years of business with the best team in the business.

Nobody Builds Better.